The Kansas Association of Conservation Districts is a voluntary, nongovernmental, nonprofit, incorporated organization that was established in 1944, two years before the National Association of Conservation Districts was formed. Its members are the conservation districts located in the state’s 105 counties.
The KACD Board of Directors is composed of five elected members, each of whom represents one of five geographical areas of the state.
Throughout its history, KACD has helped forge key partnerships among federal, state, and local entities all committed to a common goal: wise and efficient conservation practices to protect the state’s natural resources. These partnerships spanning more than six decades have been highly effective and mutually beneficial, allowing for shared space, equipment, and knowledge.
To promote the establishment of and give support to programs designed to advance the conservation and orderly development of Kansas land, water, and related resources.
Welcome to the
Kansas Association of Conservation Districts
©2007-2014 Kansas Assn. of Conservation Districts
website designer/webmaster: firstname.lastname@example.org
Longstanding Committment to Conservation
On April 14, 1935, an estimated 300 million tons of soil blew from the land.
That day, known as “Black Sunday,” people of the Great Plains suffered the devastating effects of a massive drought. It was one of the darkest periods in Kansas history.
But just as every cloud has a silver lining, out of those dust clouds came a firm commitment to soil conservation. The Kansas Legislature passed a bill that created conservation districts in Kansas, which was signed into law by Governor Walter Huxman on March 25, 1937.
With that action, Kansas began a commitment to conservation that has lasted more than seven decades.
Rawlins County wheat field at sunset - Photo by Kathy Davis-Vrbas, Atwood, Kansas
KACD Members Now Have Benefits!
Members Only Benefits